Monday, February 21, 2011

NEVER THOUGHT THIS WOULD HAPPEN

I'm probably the last person who I would have thought would write an entry on sports... yet here we are. I guess you could say it's not about sports, but rather concerns an amazing man who became famous through sports. The man I'm referring to is the late John Wooden.

In short, for anyone who doesn't know, he was the phenomenally successful UCLA basketball coach who won ten NCAA championships in a twelve year period. However, the thing that sets Coach Wooden apart to me wasn't his success on the court, but rather in the hearts of his players and the people he influenced. He was far more concerned about shaping the men that played for him than winning trophies. He taught them that a man must have character or his talent means very little.

Coach Wooden was famous for his short, inspirational sayings that apply both to basketball and to life in general. Having read a number of them, I believe that he was pretty much right on on his philosophies about life that he shared with his players.

He was also a devout Christian and did not hide his beliefs. He is quoted as saying, ""If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me." He also subscribed to a seven-point creed of: Be true to yourself. Make each day your masterpiece. Help others. Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible. Make friendship a fine art. Build a shelter against a rainy day. Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.

Even though he achieved tremendous fame and success, he was always faithful to his wife, Nellie, even after her death in 1985. He visited her grave and wrote her a love letter each month. His devotion persisted until his death last year, and I would venture to guess beyond that, too.

I think it unfortunate that more men and women of character like John Wooden aren't applauded and distinguished for the great things they do. I truly do believe that there are many such people still around today. We hear about them from time to time, but usually in short inspirational snippets rather than throughout their lifetimes. Is it any wonder that society is heading the direction it is when we consider the kind of activity that is encouraged through fame and fortune?

Thankfully we still have the legacy of amazing people to learn from and build on. I found this illustration of Wooden's "Pyramid of Success" that I think is a fantastic collection of some of his choice pieces of advice. I'd suggest taking the time to take a look at it and pondering what we can learn from such an exemplary individual.

(EDIT: It looks like the link doesn't work any longer. You can probably find it easily by Googling "John Wooden Pyramid of Success")

John Wooden

No comments:

Post a Comment